Thursday, April 1, 2010

Workshops


I visited the Philippines twice in 4 months... and on my October 2009 visit I had some inquiries about photography teaching sessions but I was so busy with other things and I didn't have much time to prepare a workshop date.

Then on my Feb 2010 visit I had alittle lead time for a workshop... I posted anad on the Fanatic Photographers' forum in Davao City and a few interested participants contacted me. It wasn't a grand workshop because of the limited time I had for pre production... but I had about 11 Davao enthusiasts joined me for various teaching sessions...and I had 6 people booked a private workshop.

I love meeting aspiring photographers because I can share a bit of my knowledge in this art form. I love sharing tips that I came across myself or things my fellow pro-photographers here in Canada shared with me. I love to inspire other photographers learn more about the craft and not get too fixated on gear. Photography is an ART... and teaching art can never be forced...it should be willingly learned. I have mentored a handful of other photographers here in Winnipeg...mostly really new hobbyist. I do get more experience photographers ask for ateaching session too or merely get tips on print preparation... but not too often.

Winnipeg is a different market for individual teaching sessions...because there's 2 schools pumping out 30-40 pro photographers each year. These same schools offer different segments as classes. So teaching individuals can be tough... but still it's about the style of photography that people want to learn. Sure schools can teachaperture...shutter speeds.. white balance... and even teach developing your own prints in the darkroom...but they really just give you the technical side of photography... a good friend Chris who also teaches workshops here gets the same students from these schools to learn more the artistic side of photography. An artist is either born an artist or someone dedicated to absorb knowledge from various artist and create their own style from it.

My teaching sessions is all about the artistic side of photography... sharing my knowledge in developing an "eye" for details. How I wish that I had someone who guided me through photography...but I learned photography all on my own... I guess I am a pretty efficient teacher with my accomplishments in this field. I would like to share some things that I learned from a LOT of trial and errors... a LOT of frames figuring out certain shots I visualize in my head. I love to share the truth behind the gear you want and the gear you actually need... this is a very eye opening session. If you see my fine art prints you will know exactly what I mean. The bulk of my portfolio images were created with my Olympus E1 which is only 5mp and in most people's opinion limited to ISO400. They are usually pretty amazed looking at my large format fine art prints sizes from 16x20"-24x36"... and couldn't believe that those images are created with a 5mp camera. One of my clients was so intrigued about this that he inquired about a teaching session even though he is already shooting medium and large format cameras. People can tell you all sorts of things...specially sales people to push the latest and greatest from a company they favor. The truth is in the prints... and of course the proper technique and careful preparation in post processing to achieve enormous enlargements from low pixel count cameras. The most mind blowing print I have is a 20x30" fine art print of a red brick building created with a 4mp point and shoot...the Leica Digilux 1. I just have to disclose that the amount of detail is nowhere near the large format cameras but very comparable or better to 35mm film or slides, some even borders on 645 medium format. My 67 medium format camera still is my go to camera for commissioned pieces that requires larger than 30x40".

My workshops don't require you to be equipped with 24mp full frame dslrs... or even requires you to have a dslr at all. On my sessions I always carry a trusty point and shoot with 4-8mp resolution...for me to share the capabilities of these cameras.

As an Olympus user... I am still very attached to my 5mp E1 but I do have the 10mp E3... but again it's not all about the gear. I teach the artistic side...and how to create compelling images from the gear you have.

I do offer basic photography sessions too...but its more of a practical application of the teachings... learning aperture and shutter speeds on a white board is boring. You just have to try it and see how it affects the exposure...learning to "blend" these components to control light. Since photography is "painting with light". I learned on my own through experimenting with exposure through my passion in night photography. I also incorporate the same technique in understanding light, may it be with ambient light for portraits or a multi-strobe set-up.

My participants comes from a various range of skill level, some that might even be way more experienced as I am. The key in being an artist is to explore and continue learning...always looking for the next challenge or the next source of information to progress. For me and my "proteges" we always go and do concept sessions. I always consult with fellow photographers here in Winnipeg for critics and to ask them other information regarding some of their techniques.

I am available for teaching session and workshops...just let me know if there's a particular field of photography you would like to learn. Let's learn the art and have fun!






ALL COPYRIGHTS OF THE IMAGES ON THIS POST TITLED "WORKSHOPS" BELONGS TO THE INDIVIDUAL PHOTOGRAPHER THAT PARTICIPATED ON MY FEB 2010 DAVAO CITY WORKSHOP.



No comments:

Post a Comment