Friday, April 2, 2010

Events


Event photography is one of my favorite field of photography... it is just like wedding photography but sometimes be more challenging. In event photography your skills in photography is pushed to it's very limits. It will be a constant none stop frame after frame action. I have documented a lot of concerts and performances that just makes you learn new technique right there and then. It is a type of photography that you should be completely confident about your skills. One of my very first event photography assignment was for a fundraising concert for a Filipino charity organization Gawad Kalinga.

It was an event that my parents were involved, they were members of the group that put the concert in place. The concert was headlined by one of Philippines singing sensation Joey Albert. That was back in 2006 just a few months after I started my new hobby. My mom knew I was into photography and asked if I can document the event for them. Honestly I thought it was easy but boy I was into a surprise...the changing spot lights in the concert...dimming lights and REALLY dark environment made me adapt techniques that was so far from my usually tripod mounted landscape photography. I did have some really good gear but I also had my trusty Olympus C7070 as my back up...and for wide angle shots... That concert was such a learning experience... I came home with near 500 photos for the 4hrs it was on and I submitted 300photos to my mom's group...and they LOVED IT! That gave me the confidence that I can truly do this type of photography...more and more events came about and I always have a practice ground for my photography.

I've photographed a Sean Paul concert...and 2 years of Folklorama performances and a bunch of charity outings for my mom's religious group before I decided to introduce my Photography studio in 2009. At that time I am confident that I can deliver consistently cutting edge and a fresh approach in event photography.

The year 2009 was such an amazing year for event photography... I was part of the 2009 Folklorama and was one of the 2 official photographers of the Colombian pavillion. Later that year I had a few event photography bookings including an invitational for Canadian Breast Cancer Society's Martini Mingle with Matt Dusk. I have tons of compliments regarding my photographs that they are very artistic and captures the feeling of the event... as most client say "it's just like being there". I love the fast pace of this field of photography... it's a go..go..go. It is such a demanding yet fun field... a break from my very relax fine art portrait sessions.

Event photography that I am available for would be debuts, baptism, birthdays, anniversaries and of course concerts.




No comments:

Post a Comment