Monday, April 12, 2010

Sony V3-portrait session

These are some photos from my Sony DSC-V3.... from my portfolio album Heather 4-11-10.

My main gear was my Olympus E3 with the Zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 and the Olympus E330 with the Zuiko 50mm f2 macro. I brought the V3 to put it against some of my actual pro set-up... and it actually did an amazing job... didn't use it much on the indoor part of the shoot. I was just using ambient lighting so the dslrs can certainly blow the V3 in high ISO work. Pushing a gear to its' limits don't really give you amazing images...using it wisely can. The V3 is a very capable camera for strobing or bright sunny day settings...but the one thing a small sensor camera can have a little problem is background blurring. I achieved the background blur through playing with Photoshop Elements 4... gaussian blur and spiral blur...

Die hard dslr shooters will be whispering to each other... "it can never be good enough...after all its a small sensor camera". In a nutshell... No its not as good...but considering the fact that it fits on my spring jacket pocket...and if I use it within it's capabilities, it's an amazing camera. And if I wasn't a professional photographer .. I wouldn't hesitate to just have the Sony V3 or any high end prosumers. It all boils down to the actual use... sure the V3 can deliver magazine editorial quality images but one thing is that it depends on the actual details of the shoot... in bright conditions or in studio... it would be faultless but don't expect high ISO ambient light to look stellar, it does have grain and publishing it on high gloss can really have a nasty effect... I was shooting the E3 at 1000ISO indoors with an f4 aperture.

With the Sony V3 at its' base ISO80, it is very...very clean...even up to 200ISO it is still quite good, 400ISO shows grain but still very highly detailed... the 800ISO is useable and looks amazing as black and white. For professional use... it can be a good tool for times when you want to be discrete..ex: street photography or even for fine art photography..as long as you use it wisely it more than a competent camera. Any of the photos on this post can be enlarged to 16x20inches without any issues(I did a test strip)... and at 18x24inches it is still looks amazing...and has the potential of going even up to a 36x24inches with some careful print preparation.

The V3 was a fun camera while my dslrs were still inside my backpack...so here's some of the photos from the V3.


Sony DSC-V3-amazing camera...fun to use.







No comments:

Post a Comment