Thursday, April 1, 2010

JUST GOT A SONY DSC-V3... so excited!

I came across the opportunity to buy a barely used Sony DSC-V3... NO WEAR MARKS AT ALL! I always hesitate when sellers tell you that their camera is in mint shape...from past experience people tell me that its mint but it looks like it's been to war and back! lol... This camera however is as advertised.. like brand new shape..

I always wanted a V3...because I have the Sony DSC-F828 and I love it but there are times I wish I had something smaller. The V3 is the kid brother of the F828...only 7mp but in some areas better than the F828. It has better high ISO shooting... cleaner...its like the F828 files processed in Noise Ninja. The F828 is actually an amazing camera even for high ISO as long as you process it through a noise suppression software. The V3 is way smaller...like 1/3rd the size of the F828...and more of a rangefinder style body. I love the rangefinder look and the ability to peep through that little window to compose the image. The viewfinder is not perfect...it is tiny same as the others and only shows a portion of the image...not a big deal to me since I am used to using these types of cameras.

People might wonder...why I am so excited with such an ancient camera(for those not familiar with the age of this camera... it is
approaching 5 1/2 yrs old...). I love using "prosumers" even in my fine art portfolio. I've sold 36x24" fine art prints from the F828 and the Sony R1... so I have no doubts about the capabilities of these cameras. I buy these cameras really cheap now...just because people think that dslr's are the only way to go. Hmmmmm.... I do disagree...

Prosumers are VERY CAPABLE... I've sold fine art prints from them...and I've documented events with them...

This camera sold for $1000 CAD back at it's peak... and to pick it up for $200... IT IS A STEAL! People don't realize that how good these cameras... just because it's older doesn't mean it's less capable. Specially in the Point and Shoot bracket none are particularly that amazing...well maybe except the Panasonic LX3 which I also own. Point and shoots generally are limited with the sensor size... and the more pixels the mushier the image gets... the 7-8mp high end point and shoots are still the best..IMHO. And in my initial images of the Sony V3... it is AMAZING... better than the Canon G9 or the G10...haven't used the G11 so I can't really comment. But the V3's files are grainy but highly detailed...and the grain looks amazing in prints...texture just like 35mm film.

I will be using this camera more of a reportage camera...street photography...where high pixel counts are trivial...where 35mm film ruled for years..ex: Henry Cartier Bresson... But even for fine art landscapes this camera will still deliver amazing photos... for sure not up to the level of detail as Ansel Adams 4x5 large format set-up but the choice of subject matter will help not reveal it's weakness. I just sold my Canon Pro1 to purchase this V3 but I don't think I will miss my Pro1 based on my initial images. I will yet take it out for a more serious outing to gauge it's capabilities but I am REALLY EXCITED to have this camera in my gear bag...ohhh wait... I don't really need a bag to carry this around...



No comments:

Post a Comment