Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Night Photography

My very foundation in my photography career is night photography... partially because I love the effects of streaking tail lights and the star effect of the street lights. I've always admired night photographs and I started just by playing around with the exposure but there's no better way in creating night images but to shoot full manual mode. At the early stages I was forced to understand metering and the challenges of creating photos with not much light available. I was doing 30-60 second exposures and even longer in some cases... a lot of trial and error until I found the perfect balance to expose night images. It was a bit of a long night if I came home with no "keepers" but that was part of the learning process. I didn't have the luxury of having someone teach me photography... I am very proud to be fully self taught. But I would have been a stubborn student anyways...better that I learned it on my own...lol. Night photography is so much fun as I get to understand how to create them...I find that I can get so much more creative with them...adding different elements such as flares and streaks to actually make it edgy.

As I venture on to other fields of photography... I would owe my techniques to my early days of night photography. Understanding light is key to photography...and studio set-ups and ambient light portraits are much easier than trying to expose in intervals of a few seconds to a few minutes... Currently my portfolio book is consist of 25% night images...and they are mostly done on 35mm film.

Here's some of my favorite night photographs.











No comments:

Post a Comment