Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Life in Winnipeg

In 1999 my parents told us(brother and sister) that we will be immigrating to Canada... to me it was exciting but sad at the same time... I will miss my friends and my family in the Philippines but I am excited to live in a new place. New set of adventures...new friends... and SNOW... lol...

Winnipeg has been an amazing place for me and my family... it is truly a new beginning but I can never say it was an easy transition. I've worked in so many different jobs that I never would have thought I would ever do... janitor..door to door salesman... and grocery bagger. I would have to admit that even though I didn't dream to be any of those... it was such an experience that humbled me. Before I just take everything quite easily... I can just go to my parents and ask for money for anything I want...even "date" money..lol.

Winnipeg open a lot of doors for me...but not each door was a good one... eventually I came about being a designer and being recognized in my new artistic field. As I ventured on photography... again Winnipeg was such a place that I can showcase my artistic talents. On my second year in photography I managed to be a runner-up in a local photography contest for Destination Winnipeg...then the next year I was a category winner and on 2008 my image was the overall winner. For 3 consecutive years my photography was recognized and my images have been published in various tourism materials and other city materials. In 2009 due to different motivitations I decided to put up my photography studio Dodgie Dator's Fine Art Photographs. In that very same year I already had my first commercial client order a mural 8 feet high for one of their panels in their newly constructed building. In June 2009 I secured 2 representations in Winnipeg's 2 finest art galleries, Birchwood Art Gallery and Wayne Arthur Gallery. I've been part of 2 gallery shows for Wayne Arthur Gallery in 2009 and I am also selling my fine art prints through my designing employer McGrath Diamonds. I have a few collectors that see me directly to be able to discuss their artwork needs for their office and home.

I have clients and models for my portrait work...which I started even later..due to a strain in a business relation, I pursued portrait work with my own style. Late in 2009 towards the fall I had the opportunity to photograph various models and some clients that hired me for portraits. They seem to love my style of a very natural portrait on location. Different opportunities poured in that year...like meeting new friends from Colombia through their delegates for the Folklorama, I was one of the 2 official photographers for the pavillion. Late in 2009 my good graces continued being invited to be the official photographer for Canadian Breast Cancer Society's Martini Mingle with Matt Dusk. It was such an honor because a celebrity of Matt Dusk caliber just don't come by very often.

I am enjoying every bit of blessings that God and the City of Winnipeg has given me...and I look forward to my wedding bookings in 2010 and some overseas workshops on the planning stages.

I would have never in my dreams thought that I will be an accomplished photographer...but hey I am not complaining at all... I am excited in everything that is happening to me...here in this very city.





No comments:

Post a Comment