Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Moment in Time - Ruth & Jackson's Wedding


There are photographs that are just worth a thousand words... "A moment in time".. Photographs links us to pivotal moments in time, may it be in science, politics and specially our own lives. My brand of wedding photography is about capturing a moment and making it into an artwork. Subtle emotions in life tells the greatest stories, something that needs no further explanations or elaborations. A crying mom is quite common in a wedding but seeing a dad cry is not uncommon but for me it's much more emotional.


Here's one of my personal favorites, a photograph I captured in Ruth & Jackson's wedding. I loved the original capture but can be greatly improved as my good friend and mentor Chris pointed out. As Chris mentioned the emotions was well captured but the background elements are quite distracting in making it a portfolio worthy image. I was determined to work on this image since I absolutely love the emotions in it. Personally I love monochrome images, specially such an emotional scene, so first thing I did was to remove the colors. Then I just recomposed by cropping the original image to remove as much unwanted elements in the scene.

The image is still not perfect others might say...but it is after all "A moment in time", it was not staged...it was captured as the story unfolded. A photographer once bragged to me... "they don't capture moments they create it"... he explained that they stage the kiss, and other emotional interactions to make it picture perfect for their $,$$$ albums. I still firmly believe that stories are best told as how it actually happened, emotions are as real as it gets and therefore a sincere photograph.

Here's the original capture...


No comments:

Post a Comment